Workshop for Parents: College Applications Start in 9th Grade!
April 25, 2019
9:30 am - 10:30 am
12 E 49th Street
How to Maximize the Profile of a Successful Applicant
“Every autumn before college applications are due, I hear one thing above all else from parents and students: ‘I wish I had known about that sooner…'”
— Ivy Link’s Founder
“That” is the essential information that college admissions officers don’t tell students and parents due to confidentiality obligations or simply out of fear of offending prospective applicants. The college admissions process begins years before applications are due. This workshop is designed to help parents of students primarily in Grades 9-11 guide their children and assemble well in advance the components of a successful application. Waiting until the autumn of senior year often proves too late.
With nearly two decades of experience, Adam Nguyen, the founder of Ivy Link, an admissions strategy and tutoring company, has developed a well-tested approach to maximizing the profile of a successful applicant. Adam will share tips on how to avoid costly mistakes during the admissions process, and share insights on issues such as:
– What do colleges really mean by “well-rounded” students?
– Are there advantages to Early Decision and Early Action?
– Which is weighed more: grades or test scores?
– How should poor grades or test scores be explained?
– Does it matter which extracurricular activities my child participates in?
– What are effective recommendation letters and how to obtain them?
– How important are the essays?
– Does the interview matter?
– Should my child take the SAT, the ACT, or both?
– How many times should one take the SAT or ACT?
– What is a good SAT or ACT score?
– What qualifies as “legacy”?
– Do donations matter?
– Should an influential family member or friend contact the college on my child’s behalf?
– What can my child do now to increase his/her admission chances?
A significant portion of the interactive workshop will be devoted to answering parents’ questions. Attendees are encouraged to submit their questions before the workshop.
Adam Nguyen, the founder of Ivy Link, has nearly two decades of experience helping students at all levels in admissions, test preparation and academic coaching. He has served as an academic advisor at Harvard and a reader of applications and interviewer in Columbia’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions. He is a member of the U.S. National Association for College Admission Counseling and holds a Bachelor of Arts in Economics and Political Science from Columbia and a Juris Doctor from Harvard Law School. Adam is a frequent speaker and commentator on admissions, standardized testing and other education issues, appearing on Bloomberg TV and at Columbia University, Citigroup, JPMorgan Chase & Co., and the Parents League of New York.
Remote attendance is an option via dial-in (information to be provided after registration).
Registration and payment are required to attend in person or by phone.